AP Exam Information
NORMAL EXAM PROCEDURES
In spring 2022, we plan to return to the normal testing procedures as established by the College Board.
AP exams are administered each May. Students may elect to take as many AP exams as they would like, and students are encouraged, but not required to take AP exams for course in which they are enrolled. Each AP exam costs $96.00 ($144 for AP Capstone courses: Seminar and Research).
Tests will be given at a pre-determined date and time set by the College Board in the first two weeks of May.
Academy students will test at their home school if they are offering the exam. Any exams not offered at your home school (or if you are an out-of-district student) will be administered at Academy. AP Exam Schedule 2022 and Locations
Exams are ordered in the fall (Due November 5, 2021) for year-long classes. Classes that begin in the second semester have orders dues by March 4, 2021. Why AP Ordering Happens in the Fall
ORDERING YOUR EXAM
Students MUST use a Join Code for the school to be able to order an exam. Students get the join code from their teacher. Here is a step-by-step guide to using a Join Code: Join AP Class for Students 2 page
If a student takes an Academy class that is also offered at your high school, you’ll take the test at your home school. You’ll need to tell the College Board where to ship your test by using both your class Join Code AND an Exam Join Code. Follow this flow chart to see how it works: Join Code Flow Chart
All DMPS high school students pay for their exams with their home school bookkeepers even if the class is taken at Academy. Out of District and middle school students in AP courses (rare) pay at Academy.
Starting September 15, 2021, AP Coordinators at each school will download exams ordered through My AP Classroom and course join codes and give the list to school bookkeepers. The bookkeepers will add the exam fee to Infinite Campus. Students who have textbook fee waivers qualify for a United Way grant that pays for the cost of the exam. The grant is automatically applied to student accounts in Infinite Campus by Bookkeepers.
Periodically, until November 5, 2021, the AP Coordinator at each school will update the bookkeepers with new orders.
Once the order is added to Infinite Campus it can be paid online with a credit card or with a check or cash to the school bookkeeper. The fee can be paid in installments or all at once. A minimum deposit of $40 per exam is due by November 5, 2021. Students who qualify for textbook fee waivers have their exams paid for by a grant from the United Way. The bookkeeper will apply the grant automatically to all students who qualify with no deposit required.
The College Board sets additional fees. They can be avoided. Here is the list:
- LATE ORDER FEE: This $40 fee is added if your order is submitted by the school after Nov. 15, 2021. Submitting your order by Nov. 5, 2021, gives us time to ensure all orders are correct before we finalize the school order with the College Board on November 15.
- CANCELLATION FEE: This $40 fee is added if you cancel an ordered exam any time after November 15, 2021. If you do not show up for an ordered exam it becomes cancelled. The United Way grant for students with textbook waivers does NOT cover the cost of a cancellation fee– it only pay for exams that are taken. So, if the grant is covering your exam costs and you cancel, you will have to pay $40.
- LATE TESTING FEE: This $40 fee is added if you postpone your test to the late testing period in the third week in May. This fee can be waived for a good reason.
WHO TO CONTACT
|Academy||Jessica Gogerty||Kimberly Kinney|
|East||Steven Leib||Tracey Fetters|
|Hoover||Boston Freilinger||Amy Fritz|
|Lincoln||Mindy Euken||Kristi Baker|
|North||James Zabel||Cassie DeYoung Formaro|
|Roosevelt||Praveen Bannikatti||Janet Stonerock|
|Virtual Campus||Sheila Brown||Heather Menninga|
What to Bring to an AP Exam
- Photo Identification (driver’s license or student ID)
- AP student pack (will be assigned to you)
- Pencils (#2)
- Black pen
- Calculator (if allowed)
- DO NOT bring other electronic devices (phone, iPod, etc.) as these are not allowed in the testing room and may result in disqualification of score results
Depending on the specific policy at the university or college the student attends, students could earn a significant number of college credits for scoring well on an AP exam.