Brian Reece Named Presidential Award Winner
Today the White House announced the latest recipients of the Presidential Award for Excellence in Mathematics and Science Teaching. The 108 winners are selected from finalists nominated by the 50 states plus the District of Columbia, Puerto Rico and the Department of Defense.
One of this year’s winners, representing Iowa, is math teacher Brian Reece. He is in his seventh year of teaching at Central Academy, where he also helps coach the school’s nationally honored mathematics team.
Mr. Reece will travel to Washington, DC later this summer for a recognition ceremony, including a $10,000 award from the National Science Foundation.
Brian Reece is the eleventh DMPS teacher to receive this prestigious national award since its creation in 1983.
Previous DMPS recipients (and the school they taught at when receiving the award) were:
- 1983: Karen Stiles, Weeks Middle School (Science)
- 1995: Michael Link, Central Academy (Mathematics)
- 1995: Karen Sievers, Callanan Middle School (Science)
- 1997: Karen Voss, Merrill Middle School (Mathematics)
- 1997: Joseph Zimmerman, Central Academy (Mathmatics)
- 1998: Mary Dilts, Roosevelt High School (Mathematics)
- 2006: Jennifer Johnson, Jefferson Elementary School (Mathematics)
- 2009: Jessica Gogerty, North High School (Science)
- 2010: Barbara Leise, Downtown School (Mathematics)
- 2012: Josie Burg, Downtown School (Mathematics)
Read More about the award at http://www.nsf.gov/news/news_summ.jsp?cntn_id=135584&org=NSF&from=news